Monday, September 9, 2013

Thirty Days of D&D, Day 10 & 11: Craziest Thing Seen & Favorite Adventure

No need to tell it again.
Day 10: Craziest thing that's happened that you saw (to party/character/your players, etc.)

This one is not sounding any clarion calls of reminiscence. I could recount the usual monumentally missed hooks or awkwardly misconstrued clues, shapeshifting mishaps, fumbled disguises and mistaken identities (both in-character and legitimate player confusion), comical overkills, hilarious criticals (we went through a crit table phase) or games derailed by player attention ramming full speed into the amateur Holy Grail impression mode.

Poor game never had a chance.



Day 11: Favorite Adventure You Have Ran

I don't run many adventures. I set characters loose at a location with a starter premise. What they do is their problem, my problem too I guess. Likewise, this sandbox style describes most of the games I've been in. I'm sure the games incorporated some small module somewhere, but most are probably just re-purposed dungeon or town maps with names changed to protect the guilty.

One adventure I always wanted to run (or play through) was Night Below. It was in this big hulking boxed set with interesting cover art (can't go wrong with featuring monsters for an adventure) and the simple yet poignant adventure name. The premise, as I've learned, wasn't anything new for the time, but this held megadungeon promise that made Undermountain seem minor leagues, just from the box art and title.

I don't own it and I'm not sure if it's any good, but the premise was enticing back in the day when the Underdark was still (to me) this entirely mysterious and unquestionably lethal place.

No comments:

Post a Comment